to send your feedback to the NCCI
Namibia Trade Directory
The comprehensive directory of top companies and business
leaders in Namibia.
AA Advisory Services
Affirmative Action Advisory Services (AAAS) Desk has been established
with the mission to: "promote full participation of all Namibians
in the advancement of society, in partnership with the private sector,
by eliminating existing inequalities and redressing the deficits that
resulted from previous policies, practices or traditions".
AA Advisory Services
- Presentations on affirmative action and diversity
- Presentations on Affirmative Action Act 29 of 1998
- Clearinghouse of information and resources
- Responding to general inquiries
- Intensive support programme
- Packaged training programmes
- Affirmative Action Audits
- Study tours
- Research projects (related)
- Affirmative Action Advocacy
- Establishment of Monitoring Mechanism (new development)
Affirmative Action in Namibia affects across the whole society.
It influences, and is influenced by, economic growth and prosperity,
the demand for employment, as well as
policies related to education, training, small business development
and regional development.
The AAAS Desk will pursue its mission through the following goals:
- To change the mind-sets of private sector and parastatal employers
and stakeholders at all levels (e.g. senior management, boards,
supervisors) and promote private sector and parastatal who
see affirmative action as more than a minimalist response to
legal compliance by recognising the competitive advantages
- To document the struggles and successes of
private sector employers in Namibia so that others can
learn from these experiences and
that an effective Namibian model can be designed.
- To broaden the pool of resources in Namibia
in human resources development expertise and the
introduction of diversity and affirmative
action change processes within private sector firms.
- To facilitate processes of change within
private sector firms which affect every aspect fo a
firms operation and the
organisational culture of business.
- To respond to, and lead chamber members in
the field of affirmative action by promoting and advocating
for mandates regarding
affirmative action which come from the chamber.
Such mandates should promote social
responsibility for affirmative action amongst chamber members
and ensure affirmative
action issues and agendas are integrated throughout the
chamber structure and its operational procedures.
The AAAS Desk will pursue
these goals through the following objectives:
- Awareness raising: To create an awareness of
the positive contribution that affirmative action can have
in the workplace and as an
important ingredient to sound business practice.
- Practical support: To provide practical
advice, support, training and assistance to enhance the
design and implementation of
effective affirmative action policies and strategies and
to facilitate the process of
- Capacity building: To build and strengthen
the capacity of the private sector in Namibia to design
and implement effective
affirmative action policies and strategies.
- Advocacy: To promote and advocate for
standards in affirmative action that reflect the practical
demands of equity and productivity.
- Monitoring: To monitor and promote the
progress and effectiveness of affirmative action.
There are, however, some significant beneficiaries of
affirmative action in Namibia and the AAAS Desk aims to promote
policies and strategies which will benefit these groups.
The AAAS Desk will deliver its services to the following target groups,
listed in order of priority:
- Members of the NCCI:These firms represent
the primary target group of the AAAS Desk and as such,
they shall be given priority over
all other organisations.
- Other private sector and parastatal employers: The AAAS Desk shall give priority to private sector and parastatal employers
over those employing agencies of the public sector.
It is believed that private sector and parastatal employers have
a particular set of needs, interests, problems and concerns that
the AAAS Desk can address.
- Government agencies:The AAAS Desk shall work
with government agencies to promote the design and
implementation of a sound legislative,
regulatory and policy environment for affirmative action.
- Trade unions:The AAAS Desk recognises the
value of a tripartite approach to affirmative action and,
therefore, shall work with trade
unions to facilitate the implementation of affirmative action
in the workplace.
- Community-based and non-governmental
organisations:The AAAS Desk recognises the important role
that CBOs and NGOs can play in
changing community attitudes as well as in the design
and delivery of valuable programmes and services.
Therefore, the AAAS Desk will work with these organisations
to ensure that effective linkages are established and maintained.
- Education and training institutions:
Overcoming many years of policies that were based on racism and
sexism will take a long time and requires specific action to
redress the educational and experiential
deficits that Namibia now faces.
The AAAS Desk will, therefore, consider ways in which the
capacity and productivity of the labour market can be enhanced.
AA Publications & Productions
- Employers Guide to Affirmative Action in Namibia
- Affirmative Action Newsletter
- Affirmative Action (Employment) Act 29 of 1998 (GRN)
- Affirmative Action Act Regulations of 1999 (GRN)
- Still In Production:
AA Act Guides: a)
Volume 1 - Basic Compliance Guide (in production)
AA Act Guides: b) Volume 2 - Good Models and Processes (in production)
AA Video Production: "
Striving for a better Future" (in production)
- Annual Affirmative Action Awards Scheme (new)
Consultant: Affirmative Action
NCCI Head Office
PO Box 9355, Windhoek, Tel: +264-61-228809;
Fax: +264-61-228009, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ministry of Labour
Bag 19005, Windhoek, Tel: +264-61-212309, Fax: +264-61-212334
Ministry of Labour
Private Bag 19005, Windhoek, Tel: +264-61-210049, F